I have never been a big fan of mint and chocolate together, so every year when the Peppermint Mocha craze at local cafes (Starbucks in particular) begins, I just beg for more pumpkin spice. Then, one day, I went with a co-worker with the desire to give into the hype.
And then I became obsessed.
HEAB talks about how much she loves the Skinny version, and even though I’m not a big fan of artificial sweeteners, I gave it a try. First, I tried a regular skinny and I really liked it but I felt that there was something a little off. Next, I tried it with 2% milk and it was much better. Then, I went back to soy, and that was it….it was perfect.
However, as we all know, this shit is expensive. So it was time to perfect my homemade version.
Peppermint Mocha at home
- 1 cup of very strong brewed coffee (I use Café Bustelo – it’s what my family has been using for years and I love it)
- 1 water
- 3/4 cup non fat powdered milk (you could just use milk of your choice)
- 2 T unsweetened dark chocolate powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- Sweetener of your choice, to taste (I used a few drops of Stevia extract)
- Brew your coffee STRONG. I’m talking like double the amount of coffee and maybe a little bit more.
- In a small saucepan, heat up the water with the powdered milk, sweetener, and peppermint extract.
- Pour your coffee into a blender or use a stick blender like I did. Add milk mixture and blend, blend, blend. This gets everything nice and creamy and foamy.
- Pour into a fancy mug (like the one I borrowed from my co-worker Diana!)
I really enjoyed my homemade mocha, so much so that I can’t finish one from Starbucks anymore. If you’ve recreated a coffee drink at home, share it. I’d love to hear your ideas!